We are looking for a Composite Structures Design Engineer, ideally with space segment experience, to work on critical, integral parts of the main structures of the launch vehicle.
This will include main tanks, aerodynamic surfaces, payload interfaces and engine interfaces, manufactured to exacting tolerances.
Previous experience with designing composite structures for extreme environments is considered essential.
You will be a highly experienced composite design engineer, probably frustrated by working in a slow-moving environment that rarely gives you a chance to see your work in action.
You will be eager for a fast-paced opportunity that offers exceptional freedom and responsibility, as well as the chance to create a critical component on a new European space launch vehicle.
We are looking for experienced candidates who can demonstrate they get things done with a
pragmatic attitude and reliable results.
Your duties as a Composite Structures Design Engineer will include:
• CFRP structures design and prototyping in collaboration with internal and external partners
• Design of CFRP test articles for cryogenic applications
• Working with partners to move designs from prototype to production maturity using a range of novel production techniques
• Developing and executing a testing and qualification programme
• Support to company systems engineering group on CFRP structures with design/analysis input
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering or structural engineering
• Appropriate resin safety/handling certificates
• English language skills
• 4-6 years of composite design experience in aerospace or similar environment
• In-depth understanding of latest CFRP technologies, production methods and materials
• Hands-on experience with CFRP parts development and production.
• Pressure vessel design
• CAD / CFD experience, SolidWorks / Ansys
• Experience with large scale CFRP production equipment including large winders and autoclaves
• Cryogenic liquids handling and testing experience preferred
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for colleagues who work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves.
Typically you will be:-
• A creative, lateral thinker
• Able to find innovative solutions to complex problems
• Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy
• Adventurous and team-oriented
• Calm under pressure
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s UK engineering and manufacturing headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world-famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a European citizen, from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo security screening.